Sunday 6 July 2008

Weekend in Wyoming: Animals & Activities

We had the privilege in June to go to Wyoming for a weekend at a ranch in the Absaroka range for some hiking and horseback riding. I will defer to the requests of the owners to limit what I show and say about the place, but will note it's absolutely amazing, and Karen and I were truly grateful for the chance to go.

The ranch is in the middle of nowhere at the end of a long dusty road. It butts up against the National Forest that in turn borders Yellowstone National Park. This means wildlife. We saw lots of antelope, mule and whitetail deer, elk, bighorn sheep and rabbits. Here's some:








Antelope are hard to shoot. For starters, they move fast, second, they're easily spooked, and third, mostly I saw them from moving vehicles.

In addition to the animals, there were spectacular birds.






I have fallen in love with hummingbirds. They are fun to watch, they pose for you, they are the size of a ping pong ball, and they fly like nobody's business. I'm putting up a hummingbird feeder this year.

We got to go horseback riding and fishing.







Next post: Hiking in the Absaroka Range.

No comments: